How to Perform Umrah Step by Step Guide For Muslim Pilgrims to Perform Umra
Umrah is an Arabic word which means a visit to Kabba and performing tawaf and Sai between safa and marwa. Read step by step guide to perform Holy Umrah
1. Before Setting Off From Home
Make Ghusl (i.e. a full body wash), trim your nails, remove your pubic hair, and offer Far'd Prayer (Namaz) which ever due at the time of travel. This is first and foremost step that need to be done to offer Umra. One thing more, while traveling anywhere say,
“Bismillahi, Tawakkaltu, ‘a-lallahi, wa laa hawla wa laa quwatta illah billah”
Translation: In the name of Allaah, I place my trust in Allah, and there is neither might nor power except with Allah
Don’t forget to read Du’aa of travelling, before setting off in any transport as,
Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar. Subhaa-nalathee, Sakha-ra-la-naa ha-thaa wa maa kunaa, lahu muq-ri-nee-na wa innaa ilaa rabbinaa la-mun-qa-le-boon
Translation : Allah is the greatest x 3, How perfect He is, The One Who has place this (transport) at our service, and we ourselves would not have been capable of that, and to our Lord if our final destiny.
At a journey break,
A’uthoo bi-kalimaa tillaah-hitammaa ti-min sharri maa khalaq
Translation: I take refuge in Allah’s perfect words from the evil that He has created.
2. Before You Pass The Meeqat
In the next step, before you pass the Meeqat(The place where the Umrah starts, and one enters in the state of Ihram) Men are required to get change their clothes into Ihram. While moving to the Kaba, recite the Talbiyah till you reach there.
Labbayk Allahumma labbayk, labbayka laa shareeka laka labbayk, innal-hamda wan-ni’mata laka wal-mulk, laa shareeka lak
Translation: Here I am, O Allah, here I am. Here I am. You have no partner. Here I am. Surely all praise, grace and dominion is yours, and you have no partner.
3. At third step enter the Masjid-e-Haram with your right foot and make du’aa while entering in the mosque.
4. Then take seven rounds around the Kabah called Tawaf. You must be in Wudu while performing Tawaf which starts at the Black Stone.
5. After Completing Tawaf, now you have to proceed to Maqaam-e Ibraaheem (Prophet Ibrahim’s station) where you have to recite,
Wattakhidhoo min-maqaami ibraaheema musalla
Translation: And take you (people) the Maqam (place) of Ibraheem as a place of Prayer. [Quran; 2:125]
Offer two short Rak’ahs as near as possible the Maqaam-e Ibraaheem, if not, then anywhere you find place.
6. Now turn to Zam Zam Well, where you should make du’aa before drinking the water.
7. Proceed to perform Sai (i.e. 7 laps from Safaa to Marwaa)
8. Suddent after you have completed the offering of Sai, trim or cut the hair. However, women are to shorten their hair by a fingertip, not more.
After completing these eighth steps, your Umrah is considered complete. Congratulations, may Allah accept your Umrah.
Note: Some of the Du’aas are given in this article, however, many of them are not given as they are just recommended, you may find them in the coming articles.